DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) — Conspiracy theorists are among those gathered in Dallas as the city marks the 50th commemoration of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
About 400 academics and history buffs are gathering at the annual JFK Lancer conference held down the street from Dealey Plaza. Debora Conway founded the JFK Lancer conference nearly two decades ago. She compares study of alternate assassination theories to archaeology, saying “We still dig up bones in the sand.”
Attendees planned to watch the official ceremony on screens at the conference hotel.
Also meeting are members of the Coalition on Political Assassinations. Executive director John Judge planned a ceremony at Dealey Plaza Friday afternoon. Members wore shirts depicting Kennedy’s head shot with a bullet on a half-dollar coin.
According to a recent Gallop poll, more than 70-percent of Americans believe that more than one person was involved in the assassination of JFK.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- University Park Police Looking For Thief Seen In Viral Chase Video
- Ibaka, DeRozan Lead Raptors Past Mavericks 94-86
- Second Time In 3 Months Hulen Mall Has Been Locked Down
- Oregon Tops Kansas 74-60 To Advance To First Final Four In 78 Years
- Keating Wins Runoff Election For Frisco City Council Position
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures