AUSTIN (AP) — The seasonally adjusted Texas unemployment rate slipped to 6.2 percent in October for the third consecutive month of declines, the Texas Workforce Commission reported Friday.
The commission released jobless figures for last month and also September, when statewide unemployment was 6.3 percent.
Data for both months were delayed from the original schedule because of this fall’s federal government shutdown of more than two weeks. TWC officials also rely on national figures from the U.S. Department of Labor.
The nationwide jobless rate for October was 7.3 percent.
Midland had the lowest statewide jobless rate in October, at 3.1 percent. The McAllen-Edinburg-Mission area had the highest average unemployment in Texas last month, at 10.1 percent, according to the TWC.
“The private sector in Texas recorded a strong annual growth rate of 2.9 percent in October, adding nearly 265,000 jobs over the year,” said Andres Alcantar, TWC chairman.
Texas last month had an estimated total nonfarm employment of 11,232,700 jobs, an increase of 267,400 jobs over the year. Total nonfarm employment in Texas rose by an estimated 7,400 positions in October, following an increase of 36,400 jobs in September, a total of 43,800 jobs added over the last two months.
“It’s good to see our unemployment rate declining for three consecutive months, from 6.5 percent in July to 6.2 percent in October,” Commissioner Ronny Congleton said. “Positive economic growth means continued employment opportunities for the job seekers and workers of Texas.”
Mining and logging across Texas added 15,000 jobs over the year, TWC reported. Professional and business services added 73,200 jobs. Both of these industries have grown by more than 5 percent over the year, the TWC said.
“The Texas economy continues to move forward, with every major industry in the state showing positive growth over the last year,” said Commissioner Hope Andrade.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- NFL Preview: Carolina Panthers vs Dallas Cowboys
- Guy V. Lewis, Coach Of UH Phi Slama Jama Teams, Dies At 93
- Claiborne Inactive For Thanksgiving Day Panthers vs Cowboys Game
- Elderly Couple Injured In Fort Worth House Fire
- Man Killed By Hit-&-Run Driver In Arlington
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures