LOS ANGELES (CBS NEWS) – Taylor Swift earned top honors at the 2013 American Music Awards on Sunday night in Los Angeles, winning artist of the year in the fan-voted event. The starlet beat out fellow nominees Macklemore & Lewis, Rihanna, Bruno Mars and Justin Timberlake.
But the “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together” singer wasn’t the only taking home honors. She also gave out an award, presenting the first trophy of the night — favorite pop/rock male — to Timberlake. He later returned to the stage for two more awards — favorite soul/R&B male artist and favorite soul/R&B album.
Rihanna swooped up her seventh American Music Award — favorite soul/R&B female artist. It marked the third time she’s won the AMA in that category. Later in the night, the first-ever AMA Icon Award also went to the R&B pop star, with an introduction by Bill Maher, who said that Rihanna “has become the voice of our time.”
Macklemore & Ryan Lewis accepted the favorite rap/hip-hop album award via live satellite from Miami. They got serious during their acceptance speech, talking about racial profiling and citing the Trayvon Martin case.
One Direction scored two honors — favorite pop/rock group and favorite pop/rock album for “Take Me Home,” the group’s second album. It was the first time the UK boy band was nominated for an AMA. It was also a big night for new star Ariana Grande, who not only performed in the early part of the show but also walked away with the best new artist honor, topping Florida Georgia Line, Imagine Dragons, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Phillip Phillips.
Single of the year — a new award — went to Florida Georgia Line & Nelly for their hit “Cruise,” topping Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines.”
- Constable Fed-Up With Student Bullies Posts Tough Warning
- Dallas Cowboys Select DE Taco Charlton With 28th Pick
- I-Team: Inside A Dallas Murder Mystery… 1 Year Later
- Haltom City Cops To Carry Opioid Overdose Medication
- More Parents Choosing Not To Vaccinate Their Children
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures