Dez And His Fumbles Are Causing Headaches
Buy Cowboys Tickets
Cowboys CentralShop for Cowboys Gear
DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) – Dez fumbled the ball on Sunday in a crucial spot, and could have cost the Cowboys not only the 20 yards it went backwards, but had the Giants recovered they would have got the ball in prime FG range and been in good shape for a TD the Cowboys couldn’t afford to have given up.
I went back and looked at Dez’s fumble issues. It’s tough to look at.
Dez Bryant has started 40 games for the Cowboys, but played in 54 since 2010. He has 12 fumbles, including 2 this year and 5 last year. He hasn’t lost them all, but he’s coughed it up.
Looking at the other WR’s he’s most compared to on this show — Calvin, AJ, Julio — he is way way more prone to coughing it up than they are. He excels in areas some others don’t, but in the concentration aspects of the game, he always seems to lag behind.
So, Dez has fumbled in 30% of ALL STARTS, and 22% of ALL GAMES played. 12/40/54 (Fumbles/Starts/Games Played)
Calvin has fumbled in 14% of his 96 STARTS, and 12% of his 102 GAMES played. 13/96/102. It gets worse when you factor in how often they touch the ball. Calvin fumbles on 2% of his touches, while Dez fumbles on 5%.
AJ? Even worse. AJ Green has only fumbled 4 times in his NFL career, 1 year shorter than Dez, but he’s only fumbled in 9% of GAMES played, and less than 2% of touches.
Julio is right in line with AJ, just 3 fumbles in his career 32 games for 9%.
I think Dez is better after the catch than some of these guys, not all, but some, but when it comes to the mental mistakes like route running and hanging on to the football, Dez is the one causing himself to not be the elite WR we ALL know he has the talent to be.
Fumbles aren’t like QB picks, where you rely on the other WR to run the right routes and you get bad luck on tipped balls, etc. Fumbles are almost solely on the ball carrier.
Concentration — and it has to get better from Dez to take that next step
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Big 12 Drama Will Again Extend Through Final Games
- Longhorns Can Spoil No. 5 TCU’s Playoff Hopes
- Mavs Look To Get Back On Track Against Undermanned Pacers
- Johnson, Martinez, Smoltz On Baseball Hall Of Fame Ballot
- Monday Morning Meltdown Week 12: Cowboys 31-Giants 28
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures