Keller Soldier’s Body Returns To North Texas
KELLER (CBSDFW.COM) - A soldier from Keller who was killed in action made his final journey home to North Texas on Tuesday morning. Staff Sgt. Alex Viola died while serving our country, and the Keller community has been paying their respects since last week.
As you enter the Glen Forest neighborhood, where Viola called home, there are somber signs of the local hero being honored. Flags and flowers say thank you to the young man who lost his life overseas.
Viola joined the Army National Guard in 2009 as an engineer, and he began training for the Special Forces less than a year later. Those who knew him said that he worked hard to earn the privilege of wearing the green beret.
But then, a little over a week ago, during his first deployment in Afghanistan, Viola was killed when an IED detonated nearby.
Viola’s casket, adorned with an American flag, arrived safely at DFW International Airport on Tuesday morning. From there, police and Patriot Guard Riders escorted him and his loved ones to the Bluebonnet Hills funeral home in Colleyville, Viola’s final resting place. He will be laid to rest on Saturday.
- NFL Listen Live Week 13: Philadelphia Eagles vs Dallas Cowboys
- NFL Preview: Philadelphia Eagles vs Dallas Cowboys
- Thanksgiving: Parades, Travel, Shopping
- 3 People Hurt In Dallas Wrong-Way Crash
- Toyota Recalls About 30,000 Minivans
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures