BROOKLYN, N.Y. (AP) – Senior forward Jaye Crockett and sophomore guard Toddrick Gotcher each scored 16 points to lead four players in double figure scoring as Texas Tech beat Houston 76-64 in the consolation game of the Progressive Legends Classic Tuesday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Junior guard Robert Turner finished with 15 points and junior forward Jordan Tolbert added 14 for the Red Raiders (5-2).
Junior forward TaShawn Thomas led Houston (5-2) with 18 points. The only other player in double figure scoring was sophomore guard L.J. Rose, who had 11.
Texas Tech never trailed, and led as much as 19. At the half, the Red Raiders enjoyed a 46-31 advantage. Their cause was aided by the Cougars’ sloppiness with the ball. Houston committed seven turnovers in the first half that the Red Raiders turned into 12 points.
Along with turning the ball over, Houston struggled defensively and on the board. Texas Tech shot 51.9 percent from the field and out-rebounded the Cougars 46-26.
Houston cut the deficit to 53-48 with 12:05 left in the second half following senior center J.J. Richardson’s tip in. That was as close as the Cougars got. Following Richardson’s hoop, Houston went 5:22 without making a shot from the field. In that stretch, Texas Tech went on a 10-2 run to stretch its lead to 63-53. The Cougars only points were two free throws by sophomore guard LeRon Barnes. Sophomore forward Danuel House ended the cold spell by making a corner three.
But from that point, the teams traded baskets for the remainder of the game.
Texas Tech has beaten Houston nine straight times. The teams are 27-27 in 54 games all-time
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Searching For Man Who Exposed Himself To Woman
- Former Duncanville Teacher Starts 10 Year Sentence For Student Affair
- Rain Boots Fit For A Queen On-Trend At Dean & DeLuca Invitational
- TSA Put To Test With Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- Texan With Character: Aman Lee
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures