MINERAL WELLS (CBSDFW.COM) – Some residents in Palo Pinto County and Jack County were shaken awake on Thanksgiving morning, as two earthquakes rattled the area in the early hours.
The first 3.6-magnitude quake hit just before 2:00 a.m. about nine miles north of Mineral Wells. The second earthquake was not much farther away, a 2.8-magnitude quake centered about 15 miles northwest in Mineral Wells.
There have been no reports of damages.
North Texas has been feeling a string of earthquakes — more than a dozen — over the past few weeks. Most have been centered around Azle, with the most recent one being on Tuesday morning. All of those quakes have registered between 2.0 and 3.6 in magnitude. Those who live in the small town have grown concerned.
Azle leaders have called on state officials to have geologists investigate the cause of these quakes. “The citizens are concerned,” said Azle Assistant City Manager Lawrence Bryant at a city council meeting. “They should be.”
“If it’s a man-made cause, it would be nice to know,” Bryant added. A professor at the University of Texas at Austin is studying possible correlations seismic activity and the drilling of waste water injection and disposal wells. There are 15 such wells near Azle.
Officials with the U.S. Geological Survey said that these low-level earthquakes are not strong enough to cause any significant damage, but there is no way of knowing if a stronger quake will follow.
- Twitter COO Anthony Noto Resigns To Lead Social Finance Inc.
- Report: One Killed, Several Wounded In Kentucky High School Shooting
- Kimberly-Clark To Cut At Least 5,000 Jobs In Attempt To Lower Costs
- “The Shape Of Water” Leads Oscar Nominations With 13 Nods
- Students Return To Class After Shooting At Italy High School
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures