DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM – Black Friday could be called the unofficial start to the Holiday season.
But the season of giving starts with massive spending, especially on Black Friday.
“People are looking for bargains. They look for something on sale. They want to feel like they are getting a good value for their dollar they are spending,” said Angie Freed, General Manager at Galleria Dallas.
The search for a great deal manifested into a shopping frenzy that turned violent at a North Texas Wal-Mart. A crowd of unruly shoppers could be seen fighting over $38 Blu-ray players. One man, who appeared to be injured, had to be helped out of the Saginaw store.
In South Texas, cell phone video showed two women fighting over a 32-inch television. Police officers had to break up the fight eventually, handcuff one of the women.
Shoppers like Cheri Wyrick say they try to stay out of the fray.
“I stay away! That’s kind of gotten out of hand and I think starting it early before black Friday, makes that worse,” she said.
Even mall stores are opening earlier every year, some as early as 7 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, something not all shoppers or business owners are happy about.
“I think it’s hard for us to compete with that,” said Allison Young, co-owner of clothing store Apricot Lane. “I think that if we stay on black Friday, keep the sales going on black Friday, then it keeps black Friday itself going.”
Nonetheless, Black Friday is a win-win for both shoppers looking for bargains and for business looking to boost end-of-year sales.
“It’s really crucial to our end of the year goal so it’s out biggest sales day of the year by far,” Young said.
Holiday hours are now in effect at the Galleria, which will close at 10 p.m.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Dallas Police Searching For Man Who Exposed Himself To Woman
- Former Duncanville Teacher Starts 10 Year Sentence For Student Affair
- Rain Boots Fit For A Queen On-Trend At Dean & DeLuca Invitational
- TSA Put To Test With Memorial Day Weekend Travel
- Texan With Character: Aman Lee
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures