GRAPEVINE (CBSDFW.COM) – “Small Business Saturday” meant big business for shop owners in Grapevine.
Where as Black Friday shoppers are searching for deep discounts, small business shoppers are searching for things many big box retailers can’t provide.
“We love to shop around here just because it’s unique. You find things here that aren’t in any other store,” said Suzanne Fuller.
Gayla Howell visits The Edge Apparel on Main Street in Grapevine often. For her, shopping at a small business means much more personal attention.
“I live in Southlake where all the big retailers are and I like coming here because they are small. It’s more intimate and you get more personal. You get better service,” Howell said.
Small business Saturday satisfies the discriminating shopper while bringing Mom and Pop shops a boost in business after the Black Friday shopping frenzy at big box retailers.
“It’s been great for us. Small business Saturday does better for us than our Black Friday,” said Angie Vickery, who owns The Edge Apparel.
The idea of Small Business Saturday was launched by American Express in 2010, who provides nation-wide advertising for the event that small businesses simply can’t provide.
The yearly event has served to bring many small businesses something money can’t buy; long time, loyal customers.
“We’ve started to get a lot more locals that know about us and shop us,” Vickery said.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Mazara Homers, Drives In 5 As Rangers Top White Sox 9-8
- One Person Dead, One Injured After Fort Worth Apartment Fire
- ‘Get What You Get’ With Tattoo Vending Machine
- Grand Prairie Police Department Explains SB4 To Community
- Disabled Woman Turned Away From Handicap Dressing Room
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures