SOUTHLAKE (CBSDFW.COM) – Southlake Carroll alum Cade Foster had a bad day on Saturday.
Foster, who is the kicker for the University of Alabama football team, missed two field goals and had a third one blocked in the Crimson Tide’s battle with Auburn University for the SEC West Championship.
Crimson Tide fans took to Twitter with harsh and even threatening messages. One person wrote, “If you don’t kill yourself. I will.” Another said, “Cade Foster, I’m gonna kill you and your family. Just FYI.”
But at Southlake Carroll High School, where Foster graduated four years ago, he’s getting plenty of support. His former coach and former players have all reached out to him and say he will be just fine.
“Cade Foster is the ultimate competitor. He kicks it off and he wants to go and make the tackle,” said Hal Wasson, Southlake Carroll High School head football coach. “He’s heartbroken that they didn’t get to win a big football game.”
Wasson talked to his former player on Sunday.
“Actually he made me feel better after I talked to him than I probably made him feel.”
Foster was a standout kicker at Southlake Carroll and graduated in 2009.
While he’s received dozens of threats through social media, he’s finding plenty of support there too. His current and former teammates are defending him, and so are the people he grew up with.
“The fact of the matter is Cade Foster is the leading score at the University of Alabama,” said Wasson.
Coach Wasson says the pressure to play and live up to fan expectations is only getting tougher in the social media age.
“We advise our players don’t get involved in that stuff. It’s never as good as you think it is, nor is it ever as bad as you think it is.”
Wasson said he did talk to Foster’s parents, who still live in Southlake and support the football team. They are also overwhelmed by all the support.
- Shooting Reported At South Carolina Elementary School
- Survey: Texans Concerned About College Access & Student Debt
- Garrett: Dez Has A Slight Hairline Fracture In His Knee
- On The Rise: Matthew Fitzpatrick And European Tour’s Next Generation
- Cowboys Coach Garrett On Practice-To-Play Policy; Injury Update
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures