DALLAS (105.3 THE FAN) — Though December marks a time of celebration for many, the holiday season carries a different meaning for Dallas Cowboys fans — one of disappointment.
The Cowboys have won two straight games to push their November record to 3-1 and grab the NFC East lead, but Jerry Jones admits the season will ultimately be judged on the team’s performance in the final month.
“We’ve always known that what they remember is what you do in December,” said Jones on 105.3 The Fan’s New School.
And unfortunately for Dallas, Decembers haven’t been kind to the Cowboys in recent years.
In 2011, Dallas dropped three of four December contests and a Jan. 1 date against the Giants to miss the playoffs. The team improved in 2012, going 3-2, but lost a de facto NFC East championship game to Washington in week 17.
The Cowboys have stumbled to an 11-15 December record with Tony Romo behind center, leading many to perceive the 11-year veteran as a choker who struggles on the biggest stage.
So what does Jones think of Romo’s sub-.500 December record?
“I think it’s real,” said Jones. “You can probably tie that to why we have had disappointment in December. It’s hard to build up enough edge to play at that level during December. You better have your arrow going up rather than going down.”
The team’s arrow is definitely pointing up coming off consecutive wins for just the second time in 2013. But the NFC East will yet again come down to the season’s final month.
The team travels to Chicago, hosts Green Bay and visits Washington before closing the season at home against the Eagles, who are also 7-5.
Jones expects the Dallas defense to improve, saying definitively that linebacker Sean Lee will return to the field Monday night after missing two games with a hamstring injury. Cornerback Morris Claiborne is “questionable” to return, according to Jones.
But will Lee’s return be enough to help Dallas overcome its December demons?
“We can’t expect to be where we all want to be unless we play better than we’ve played the last two years.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Scout Leader Remembered As Loving Mother, Generous Volunteer
- Churches Gather To Pray For The City Of Dallas
- Hamels Picks Up 11th Win, Rangers Top Royals 7-4
- Shooting At Texas Apartment Leaves Four Dead
- Kyle Busch Wins NASCAR Xfinity Series Race At Indy Again
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures