Police Seek Terrell Hospital Escapee
TERRELL (CBSDFW.COM) – Authorities in Terrell are searching for a man who left the Terrell State Hospital’s custody on Saturday afternoon without authorization. The incident took place at about 4:30 p.m. while Leslie Tyrone Ellison was being taken to the hospital for medical treatment.
Ellison had reportedly swallowed three AA batteries and was on his way to Terrell State Hospital to be examined by doctors.
But, along the way to the hospital, the 32-year-old man became combative, police said. Ellison kicked open a door and escaped from the hospital’s custody. The man was last seen by hospital members running along Interstate-30 near St. Francis Street in Dallas.
Police received a tip that Ellison had stolen a car and when Seagoville police spotted a Chevy Avalanche early Tuesday morning matching the description, they gave chase. The fugitive led officers to Dallas, back to Seagoville, then back to Dallas. The chase ended at the nearby Shady Creek Mobile Home Park in Dallas. Dallas Police assisted in the search, bringing in Air One and K9 units, but he still managed to escape.
Glenda Castillo lives mere yards away from where the fugitive’s truck was ditched. Castillo thinks he escaped by running through her yard. She found both gates open to a path leading to land behind her home.
“We just know because my geese got out. That’s how we know it was opened. But we usually put chains–see the chain on it?” said Castillo.
Toni Tovar, who also lives in the area, expressed her concern that Ellison has not been caught. “Yeah, it makes me a little scared, since I live alone with me and my babies,” said Tovar. “And I mean, what are we going to do? You know, if a woman were home alone and somebody would break in, what are we going to do?”
Ellison was never in police custody, according to authorities. The Terrell Police Department did not become involved in this incident until the hospital requested help locating the man on Saturday, after he left without authorization. Ellison was being held at the hospital for being mentally unfit to stand trial on an aggravated assault charge. He also has numerous burglary and theft arrests going back several years.
- Mother, 2 Children Survive Hit-And-Run
- Pork Sausage Patty Recall Due To Possible “Foreign Matter Contamination”
- Gov. Abbott Aims To Block Enforcement Of State Clean Air Act
- Texas Clinics File Supreme Court Appeal Of Abortion Law
- UPDATE: Suspicious Man At School Was Indeed Uber Driver Sent By Parents
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures