Rangers Trade Gentry To Oakland, Acquire OF Choice
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The Texas Rangers announced on Tuesday that the club has acquired outfielder Michael Choice and infielder Chris Bostick from Oakland in exchange for outfielder Craig Gentry and pitcher Josh Lindblom.
The 24-year-old Choice, who graduated from Mansfield Timberview High School, was listed as the Athletics’ number two prospect on Baseball Prospectus’ top ten list after the 2013 season.
The right-hander was the 10th overall selection by Oakland in the 2010 MLB First Year Player Draft after playing three seasons at the University of Texas-Arlington. Choice left UT-Arlington as the all-time career home run leader (34) and was the 2010 Southland Conference Player of the Year, leading the nation with 76 walks.
He made his major league debut in September, going 5-for-18 in 9 games, including a single off Martin Perez for his first major league hit. The corner outfielder was a Pacific Coast League all-star at Sacramento, batting .302 with 14 homeruns and 89 RBI in 132 games.
Bostick, 20, hit .282 with 14 homeruns, 89 RBI, and 25 stolen bases in 129 games at Single-A Beloit last season. He was listed as the number eight prospect on Baseball Prospectus’ top ten list of Oakland prospects after the 2013 season.
Gentry appeared in 106 games for Texas in 2013, batting .280 with 22 RBI and 24 stolen bases. In parts of five seasons with the Rangers, Gentry stole 56 bases while maintaining a .280 average.
Lindblom was 1-3 with a 5.46 ERA in 8 games, including 5 starts. The RHP joined Texas from Philadelphia in December 2013.
Choice was added to the major league roster, bringing the total to 38. Bostick was assigned to Class-A Myrtle Beach.
With the departure of Gentry and David Murphy (via free agency), Bostick and Engel Beltre remain the two likely options in left field with the current roster.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Bowl Season Arrives In N. Texas To Delight Of Fans, Businesses
- Neighborhood Blogger Feared For His Life After Officer Run-In
- Good Samaritan Gunman Stops Assault In Progress
- Jaguars Dancers Awarded $2.3 Million Settlement
- Lakers’ Bryant Out For 3rd Straight Game At Dallas
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures