Winter Storm Threat Cancels Events, But Not Marathon
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Cities across North Texas are taking action before the winter storm reaches the area. A number of planned events this weekend have been cancelled or delayed.
Some high school football games have been re-scheduled for tomorrow night, instead of Friday. Even the Holiday Pet Expo at Fair Park has been cancelled.
Despite the threat for frigid weather, as of right now, the starting line is still up for one of this weekend’s “hottest” events.
Why spoil a weekend, when you have sun and fun on a Wednesday?
Folks are well aware of what’s coming but the information has yet to put a freeze on marathoners gearing up for Sunday’s annual Dallas Marathon.
Organizers know 25,000 people participate in the run each year, a trek that is often completed in the cold. But it’s not the chill that’s drawing concern — it’s the potential for ice.
Marathon runner Louis Lucko said the freezing temperatures would be worse on, “Those that come out and root us on. If there’s danger in people’s safety, I can see cancelling.” But as far as those gearing up and hoping to set a pace he said, “Runners run in all types of weather. Just push through it.”
Dallas Marathon organizers say unless Dallas police deem the conditions unsafe, their plan is to go forward with the race.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- CDC: Highly Unlikely Ebola Virus Has Spread
- Dallas Cowboys Player Accused Of Sexual Assault
- Big Tex Preaches Ebola Precautions
- Uncertainty Continues At Apartments Where Ebola Patient Stayed
- Steroid Bust Nets Prison Guards, Would-Be NFLer
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures