From Tank Tops To Parkas In 24 Hours
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – What a difference a day makes.
Temperatures in parts of DFW on Wednesday reached 80 degrees. People visiting Klyde Warren Park in downtown Dallas were spotted wearing shorts and tank tops. “It feels like May,” said Shilo Wilk, who was playing soccer at the park.
However, while it felt like spring outside, customers inside of The Home Depot store on Forest Lane were preparing for a blast of winter weather. Shoppers filled their carts with stacks of firewood, space heaters and plant covers. “It’s very odd,” said Jeff Kitner. He bought a few faucet covers — an unusual purchase for someone wearing shorts. “Living in Texas, you get used to that kind of thing.”
“We are very last minute with the weather around here, because it does that,” explained The Home Depot store manager Rob Tomlin on Wednesday afternoon. “It’s 75 degrees today and it’s supposed to be 12 degrees overnight on Monday.”
“I do keep extra firewood around in case we need to use it for heat,” said Eric Sutton. “Definitely keep the candles out. That’s one of the reasons I was coming here.” Sutton also gives back when the weather gets cold. Sutton was homeless at one time, he said. Now, he goes outside during dangerous conditions to find one or two currently homeless people and offer them an inexpensive hotel room.
Several events scheduled for this weekend have already been canceled. But organizers for the two largest events in Dallas this weekend are waiting to make final decisions. On Saturday, as many as 300,000 people are expected to line the streets of downtown Dallas for the annual Children’s Medical Center Holiday Parade. Then, on Sunday, another 25,000 people are scheduled to run the Dallas Marathon. Both events are still set to move forward, but organizers are working on contingency plans, just in case.
- Fort Worth Police Looking For Man Who Assaulted Woman
- Top 5 Wildest Sports Callers Of The Week: August 24th-August 28th
- Flower Mound Police Catch Accused Belk’s Burglars In The Act
- NCAA Football Preview: Will TCU Win It’s First Outright Big 12 Title?
- Release Of Dallas County Jail Death Video Expected
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures