DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM/AP) – The city of Dallas and Texas Department of Transportation say they’re rushing to prevent icy road conditions as a winter storm descends on North Texas.
TxDOT spokesman Tony Hartzel said Thursday that road crews are applying an anti-icing agent to pretreat major roadways in Dallas, Denton and Collin counties, along with bridges and overpasses in Rockwall, Ellis, Kaufman and Navarro counties. TXDOT has nearly 300 trucks and equipment throughout the area.
“TXDOT maintenance crews have been planning for weeks, actually for months for severe weather this year,” said TxDot spokesperson Michelle Raglon.
NTTA has staged 75 sanding trucks throughout the tollway system and expects to spread four million pounds of magnesium chloride to keep them from getting slippery.
“If you spread too early, and put chemicals down too early, and it rains, it can wash them off and so we’ve got to watch that balance we don’t want to spread chemicals as pre-treatment that ends up in the gutter,” said Eric Hemphill, NTTA Maintenance Director
Dallas municipal officials say it has sand, salt and the ice-preventing agent to apply as needed throughout the city. Spokesman Frank Librio says they plan to concentrate on bridges, overpasses, intersections and major thoroughfares starting from the city center outward. Fire stations, hospitals and public transportation routes also will be a priority.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
- Chase Elliott Signs Hendrick Extension Through 2022
- Young Girls Becoming The Newest Action Stars
- ‘Big Bang Theory’ Star Home Destroyed By California Wildfire
- First Total Solar Eclipse To Sweep U.S. In 99 Years
- Trump Administration Plans To Unveil Border Wall Models
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures