DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Many roads that weren’t cleared were more like skating rinks Friday night. Most will only get worse as the night goes on.
There are a lot of stretches of highway that have been treated and cleared. The problem is, drivers get very confident moving quicker, and suddenly they’re surprised to be sliding into trouble.
After losing control on an icy overpass, trucker Adrian Martin found himself stuck. He wondered what he was thinking heading out in this weather. “I felt myself spinning, [I] felt like it was jack-knifing a little bit.” Martin said he didn’t think trucks should be out in these hazardous conditions. “I knew it was gonna be like this but they wanted the load.”
The bitter cold has kept highways covered with slippery patches. And with so much white slush cars are drawing their own lanes in the road.
Many bridges remain frozen over, with drivers trying to maneuver over the ice as best as they can.
Driver Cory Banks was trying to keep his wife safe. “I had to take my wife to work. She can’t drive in this weather, so I was driving her to work.”
Banks ended up like so many others… stuck on the side of the road. “I’ve been here three hours. I’d like to get home and get into bed.”
With some help jump-starting his car, and a little traction, he was back on his way with the ice still cracking under his tires.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Kate Spade’s Father Dies Night Before Her Funeral
- Woman Wanted For Stealing Glasses From Dallas Optical Store
- Dallas Man Dubbed ‘Frack Master’ Arrested On $62.6 Million Investment Fraud Scheme
- Bottled Hot Dog Water: It’s A Thing
- Chaos In Dallas After Overturned Tanker Truck Closes High Five
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures