Denton Drivers Frustrated By Icy Roads
Get Breaking News First
DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) - Denton saw its share of winter weather on Friday. CBS 11 traveled to that city to check out conditions. The town square looked like a winter wonderland. “It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” said Denton resident Joseph Forrest. “It’s not every day you see the square covered in white.”
But the roads and highways have been a mess. A thick mixture of snow, sleet and ice blanketed the roads making them hazardous and slick. The police department helped dozens of stranded drivers Friday. Along I-35W drivers couldn’t tell which lane they were driving in.
Many were frustrated since roads there had not been plowed – or treated – as of early Friday evening.
“[The] roads are dangerous. Half of the bridges are shut down,” said Eric Cantrell, a paramedic with Sacred Cross EMS.
Car after car was slipping, sliding and getting stuck most of Friday morning. “I made it – like – fifty miles in this weather and get stuck fifty feet away,” said Denton driver, Stephen Knox.
Other drivers couldn’t even get to their cars. At a Denton apartment complex, the weight of the ice collapsed on a carport. Several cars were trapped inside.
Joseph Forrest of Denton was a bit surprised and didn’t expect to be stranded. “It’s pretty crazy. Didn’t expect seeing this today.” After working on de-icing his car for a little while he decided to call it a day and just enjoy Denton covered in white.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- World Class Soccer Brings Fans To The Cotton Bowl
- Feds Investigate Denton ISD For Possible Harassment & Retaliation
- Ice Storm Memories Have One North Texas City Planning Ahead
- North Texan Challenging Right To Film Federal Buildings
- Social Media Campaign Helps Transform Arlington Graffiti
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures