MetroPCS Dallas Marathon Cancelled
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Sunday’s 2013 MetroPCS Dallas Marathon has been cancelled due to the icy weather. The decision was made Friday afternoon shortly after noon.
Marathon officials said after meeting with the representatives from the city of Dallas, the Dallas Police Department, and special events office, they decided to cancel the event for the safety of runners, volunteers and spectators.
It was estimated that up to 25,000 runners would participate in this year’s event. The news came as quite a blow for people who’ve trained for months and in some cases, traveled a long way to get here.
Steve Pomerleau flew from Mississippi to Dallas specifically to run in the marathon.
“I understand that it is the security issue,” he said. “I understand it, but I’m disappointed.”
Over the past few days, marathon organizers had sent out several announcements indicating they were “closely monitoring” weather conditions. On Friday morning, the marathon delayed the start of the Health & Fitness expo to 2 p.m. Friday. That event, which was scheduled for Friday and Saturday, has now also been cancelled.
“We regret that the race will not go on as planned, but are confident this decision is in the best interest of our runners, volunteers, spectators and the general public,” said a statement released by the marathon.
This would have been the 44th running of the event, according to organizers. Some runners say they should have been better prepared.
“I was hoping we could have the decision before we could travel to Dallas for the marathon,” said Pomerleau. “I guess we’ll have the weekend in this closed town. We can’t even go out and celebrate. It’s kinda shut down.”
According to the Dallas marathon home page, no refunds will be made if the race is canceled because of bad weather. That also means, no marathon this year. For many runners, the cancellation leaves their hopes dashed in the cold.
- $3 Million Grand Prairie Park & Ride Lot Sits Empty
- New Bus Services From Dallas To Houston Promises To ‘Luxurious’
- Moustakas Hits Grand Slam In Royals’ Victory Over Rangers
- Mother: Salesperson Shamed Me For Allowing Daughter To Wear Boy Clothes
- Newly Released Video Shows Fort Worth Officer Involved Shooting
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- Evacuations In Milford After Natural Gas Pipeline Explosion
- Witnesses Watch 2 Lions Kill Lioness At Dallas Zoo
- Safety Institute Suggests Booster Seats Until Age 12
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures