PECOS (AP) — Transportation officials say a major truck pileup on Interstate 10 in West Texas has closed a portion of the highway and claimed the life of at least one.
KVIA-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1eY7FoE) that a Texas Department of Public Safety says the pileup occurred Saturday morning and involved at least ten 18-wheelers.
The Texas Department of Transportation said the pileup was due to icy weather conditions on I-10 westbound at mile marker 190. The accident is about 160 miles east of El Paso and close to the Interstate 20 interchange.
Traffic is being diverted onto Highway 285 in Pecos, and some of it into New Mexico.
West Texas and parts of southeastern New Mexico are battling dangerously icy roads and freezing temperatures this weekend thanks to a cold front.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- One Of Texas’ Oldest Veterans Passes Away At 105
- College Student Shot In Face In Her Apartment In Stephenville
- Top Fantasy Waiver Wire Pickups For NFL Week 15
- Denton School Board Moves To Fix School Rename Vote
- Boomer Esiason: ‘Door Is Wide Open For The Minnesota Vikings’
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures