PECOS (AP) — Transportation officials say a major truck pileup on Interstate 10 in West Texas has closed a portion of the highway and claimed the life of at least one.
KVIA-TV reports (http://bit.ly/1eY7FoE) that a Texas Department of Public Safety says the pileup occurred Saturday morning and involved at least ten 18-wheelers.
The Texas Department of Transportation said the pileup was due to icy weather conditions on I-10 westbound at mile marker 190. The accident is about 160 miles east of El Paso and close to the Interstate 20 interchange.
Traffic is being diverted onto Highway 285 in Pecos, and some of it into New Mexico.
West Texas and parts of southeastern New Mexico are battling dangerously icy roads and freezing temperatures this weekend thanks to a cold front.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Dallas Man To Care For Nephew Separated From Dad At Texas Border
- Mavericks Pick, Then Trade Trae Young To Atlanta For Luka Doncic At NBA Draft
- President: First Lady’s ‘I Don’t Care’ Jacket Was Message To Media
- Charles Krauthammer, Legendary Conservative Intellectual, Dies At 68
- Fort Worth Homicide Suspect Admits To Shooting, Killing Ex-Girlfriend
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures