THE COLONY (CBSDFW.COM) – This weekend’s ice storm may topple Top Golf in The Colony.
The newly opened indoor-outdoor golf amusement center, touted as one of the town’s featured attractions, is closed.
Its towering 120 foot fence is in danger of collapsing from damage caused by ice. One of the metal pillars started to give way Friday night. Since then, six more have broken off at their base.
A witness told CBS 11 News they were jolted by the sound of metal cracking and thought all of the poles around the 65,000 square foot facility were about to fall.
The ones left dangling have now become an uncomfortably captivating sight to people in and around The Colony.
“It’s pretty crazy. I’ve played Top Golf at their other locations because it’s a fun place but hope it doesn’t come all the way down,” said Lewisville resident Brent Falkenstean.
In a statement, Top Golf officials said “TopGolf fought bravely against Winter Storm Cleon but unfortunately sustained damage to the netting at our locations in The Colony and Allen. Both facilities will remain closed this weekend, and we have arranged to make repairs just as soon as possible.”
While the leaning fence doesn’t pose a threat to any surrounding homes or businesses, it will keep customers away during what should be one if the busiest times of the year.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Weekend Christmas Events Across North Texas
- Ruling Expected In Lawsuit Challenging Dallas Pension Vote
- Parents Disarm Their Son Who Brought Guns To School
- Are The Cowboys Canada’s Team? Jerry Jones Says So
- Life In Prison For Mexican Man Who Shot North Texas Lawyer Dead
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures