FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) – Drivers in Fort Worth and across Tarrant County saw some of the worst driving conditions in the metroplex. In fact, police were asking people to stay off the roads, all weekend. Drivers were even asked to delay their commutes as long as possible Monday morning.
The push is on in Fort Worth to clear up remaining trouble spots on the highway. Monday afternoon things on the For Worth mixmaster were running smoothly.
It was the second day that crews took a very proactive approach to break up lingering thick ice. The effort was a welcomed sight for drivers.
Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) workers used heavy equipment to clear away the bumpy, clumpy ice patches that’s being dubbed “cobblestone ice.” Some likened the jagged layers of frozen sleet on bridges to driving over a field of bowling balls.
A CBS 11 News crew came across several graders clearing the way for drivers along Interstate-30 at Riverside Drive in Fort Worth.
Amadi Montgomery said his truck stalled because of the cold weather. As he sat broken down, he said he wished that he never got out on the roads. “I thought it would be good after a day or two, a couple of days but it’s still bad enough to stay home.”
In Fort Worth, traffic was even stopped in several areas along I-30 so that plow machines could have free reign in tackling the icy roads and overpasses. The temporary closures led to major backups.
UPS deliveryman Brian Wilson knows the roads well. He said some areas look safe but he knows the roads can be deceiving. “It’s slick. It’s slick in a lot places you don’t think it’s going to be. It looks like water and you think it’s going to break up and it doesn’t.”
Fort Worth is now taking a very proactive stance in removing ice remnants and dealing with overnight refreeze. Crews are working 12-hour shifts and city officials said they will continue the 24 hour sanding effort for as long as is necessary.
- DFW Moments: Delta Flight 191 Crash
- North Texas Christian School In Danger Of Closing Down
- 3 Dead, 4 Injured In Fort Worth Rollover Crash
- Border Patrol Agents Rescue 14 Illegal Aliens Freezing In Desert
- DFW Moments: Ebola Outbreak
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures