DENTON (CBSDFW.COM) – The ice storm that brought many motorists to a complete standstill over this past weekend is having a similar effect on North Texas deliveries. Restaurants and grocery stores in particular are now trying to figure out how to help customers when food has yet to arrive.
Roads across the Metroplex have become increasingly passable. But after four days of ice and slush, it will take some time for the larger grocery stores to fully restock their shelves. In the meantime, shortages are quite noticeable. Perishables such as milk, bread, meat and produce are pretty much all gone.
The manager of Brookshire’s Food & Pharmacy in Denton said that a shipment is expected late Monday afternoon. The items they need are waiting in refrigerated trucks at warehouse locations. A Kroger store in Denton expects to be restocked by late Monday as well, and a Walmart store in Denton replenished its shelves early on Monday.
The biggest challenge for stores during the ice storm has been Interstate-35, where delivery trucks struggled to get through.
But demand has also been low, stores stated. Not as many shoppers have been able to travel on the icy roads, and a lot of North Texans prepared themselves ahead of time, stocking up on popular food items before the winter weather hit on Thursday night.
There has been no shortage of canned goods and other nonperishables. Grocery stores were already overstocked on those items, added officials, due to the holiday season.
- Beltran Finalizes 1-Year Deal With Astros
- Rangers ‘Frequent Contact’ Over McCutchen and ‘Interested’ In Hamilton
- Jackson, Watson Likely To Be Among Heisman Finalists
- Under Armour To Become MLB Jersey Supplier In 2020
- USGS Records 5 Earthquakes Overnight In Northern Oklahoma
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures