NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – It’s a decision that isn’t taken lightly in any school district. Regardless if the answer is yay or nay, many people end up criticizing the decision to either close or open schools after a winter storm.
While a number of North Texas school districts have elected to remain closed many others will be back to business as usual and that means preparing for students – in and outside of the building.
It’s hardly in the job description of an elementary school principal. But Monday Rachel George was busy chiseling and scraping away ice that still clung to sidewalks. “I don’t want my kids falling. We’re out here for the safety of our children,” explained George, who leads Nathan Adams Elementary in Dallas.
The principal get elbow-to-elbow with her custodian and helped clear the way for students returning to class Tuesday. “It’s ice! And if we’re gonna be here tomorrow, we’re gonna have to walk on it.”
As a Channel 11 news crew shot video for this story learned firsthand how slippery it could be – he lost his footing while talking to Principal George and almost went crashing to the ground.
In Frisco, someone had dug a path to the front door of Allen Elementary, but a sheet of ice still coated the parking lot.
Parent Steve Roth scoped out the situation. “I just wanted to make my daughter had the ability to get into the parking lot tomorrow,” he said. Roth and his daughter, Madison, were checking on conditions at Frisco High.
Speaking about trying to get to campus in the frigid temperatures Madison said, “I’m too scared. I don’t want to get in a car accident. I usually park up there but it doesn’t look like they’ve done anything and there are a lot of bad drivers.”
There were patches of ice noticeable visible in some parking spots. But at the entrance to the auditorium, the banisters and stairs were still covered with ice.
A number of school districts said they will have people back out Tuesday morning, working to clear sidewalks and entryways.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Neighborhood Lake Overflows In Rockwall
- Icy Weather Results In Power Outages: ‘I Didn’t Have Internet, I Just Watched Trees Fall All Day’
- Taco Shop’s Trash Causes Big Stink With Deep Ellum Businesses
- Florida Man Yells ‘Murderers!’ As He’s Executed
- Arboretum Loving Cold, Wet Run-Up To Dallas Blooms
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures