Texas 2014 Candidate Filing Deadline Nears
Get Breaking News First
AUSTIN (AP) - Political hopefuls statewide have only a few more hours to throw their hats into the 2014 electoral ring.
The close of business Monday is the filing deadline for necessary paperwork to compete in Texas primaries March 4, with winners advancing to November’s general election.
Of the 15 statewide offices up for election, 36 Republicans and 15 Democrats have filed with the secretary of state’s office.
A Democrat hasn’t won statewide office since 1994, and the party may struggle even fielding a candidate for all possible slots. No Democrat has yet filed for any of the four Texas Supreme Court and three Court of Criminal Appeals races.
Still, next year’s much-watched race to replace Gov. Rick Perry looks set, pitting Republican Attorney General Greg Abbott against Democratic state Sen. Wendy Davis.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Police, FBI Investigating Armed Robbery At Flower Mound Credit Union
- 2 Hospitalized After Car Drives Into Fort Worth Home
- TxDOT, Law Enforcement Partner For ‘Drink. Drive. Go To Jail.’ Initiative
- Cowboys RB Williams Among Roster Cuts
- Anonymous Donor Increases Reward For Tip On Dallas Murder
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures