Insurance Claims Rolling In As Ice Melts
DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) - Insurance companies are adding up the damage from the ice storm, and much of the damage remains to be seen, according to the Insurance Council of Texas.
Public relations manager, Mark Hanna, says there have been about 2500 claims so far, with more expected as we continue to warm up.
“The thawing of frozen water pipes,” will ultimately determine how high claims will go. “We still don’t really have a handle of how bad that might be in your area. We can only hope that everybody has taken preventative measures and it’s all going to work out great and it’s going to be few and far between on frozen water pipes.”
Along with broken water pipes, claims are pouring in from ice and snow falling on cars, trees falling on homes and carports collapsing on cars. Hanna says between homeowner’s and car insurance – all these claims should be covered.
“On your car or truck, it’s comprehensive or what’s called other dent collision coverage. So you’d be looking at that for anything falling on your car, just like hail hitting it or in this case it’s ice and snow,” explained Hanna. “Your homeowner’s policy is going to cover a tree or limb coming through the roof of your house. You have liability insurance for people slipping and falling.”
Hanna did not give an damage estimate of insurance claims, but expects this will be an expensive storm.
- Jury In Super Bowl Seating Trial To Hear From NFL Commisioner
- Fears Turns To Frustration For Lakewood Elementary Parents
- Community Chips In To Rebuild Keller Family’s Home
- Authorities Say Teens Getting Dangerous Hallucinogens In The Mail
- DISD Student Captures Teacher’s Profanity-Laced Lecture On Cell Phone
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures