Lingering Ice Still Causing Problems Across North Texas
Get Breaking News First
NORTH TEXAS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Nearly a week after a winter storm swept through North Texas, lingering ice is still causing problems. Most notable today was the shutdown it caused on the Margaret Hunt Hill bridge.
Dallas police say around 10 o’clock in the morning, a driver flagged down an officer to report ice had fallen and damaged his car.
Dallas police closed the bridge for six hours, as ice crashed down on the lanes below. “We’re not taking any chances,” said Officer Demarquis Black.
In the last week, photographer Steve Lofton has found the most incredible sights right outside his front door in McKinney. His pictures have captured the beauty of a winter storm and the destruction.
“We started hearing these big loud crashes and we didn’t know what it was,” said Lofton.
Sunday, chunks of ice started falling from the roof over his apartment complex. Days later, they are still slowly sliding off, destroying street lamps and light fixtures on their way down.
Lofton snapped a picture of the ice wiping out an SUV parked outside.
“It just took the front windshield out,” he said. “The whole back window was crushed out and the back of the SUV was completely full of ice.”
On social media, people have posted pictures and video of damage caused by the ice.
Irving police shared a shot of car damaged on the highway Tuesday when a large sheet of ice fell from a passing U-Haul. The driver suffered minor injuries.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- AA Jet Makes Quick Stop After Cabin-Pressure Issue
- Wendy Davis Attacks Greg Abbott’s Pre-K Education Plan
- Residents Who Recorded West Plant Explosion Tell Story Behind Video
- Texas AG Greg Abbott Faces Death Penalty Choice
- Rubio To Texans: Terrorists Training In Syria May Strike U.S.
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures