FRISCO (CBS 11 NEWS) – At Nichols Elementary, cross guards wear festive hats and letters to Santa line the hallways.
“There are decorations in the cafeteria, like Christmas trees, a little menorah, and snowmen,” said student Taylor Heath.
Thus, it’s somewhat puzzling how the school became a symbol in the so-called “War on Christmas.”
“I’m confused about all that happened,” said Abigail Canter, who has a daughter in the school.
Frisco ISD said it all started after a parent volunteer sent an e-mail about a class party, asking parents to stray away from red and green decorations, Christmas trees and references to specific religious holidays.
“There is definitely no absence of Christmas here,” said Tiffany D’Alessandro, Paige’s mother.
That e-mail was forwarded on, eventually receiving national attention and creating a wave of outrage, aimed at the school.
On Facebook, people have labelled school leaders “an embarrassment to the American public”… “a disgrace to this great state”… “liberal communists”… and worse.
“I think Nichols is just one example,” said Alice Linahan, a board member for the conservative group, Women On The Wall.
Concern about students not having the opportunity to celebrate Christmas lead her group to hold a meeting Thursday in Frisco.
State Representative Pat Fallon, the co-author of a state law aimed to protect students right to say “Merry Christmas” attended the meeting and Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst recorded a video statement offering support. “We’re being advocates for children to be able to express the holidays,” said Linahan.
Parents at Nichols Elementary told us they agree with the effort to protect the celebration Christmas and other holidays.
They just don’t think they’re school is an example of what’s wrong.
“It’s a shame, however this all started, that it’s put a bad light on the school,” said Tiffany D’Alessandro.
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Keidel: The Bell Tolls For Le’Veon
- Man Sentenced In KS For Stealing Grand Prairie Man’s Identity
- New Texas Women’s Health Program Has Family Planning Focus
- This Week in Golf: Vegas Wins Canadian Open With Closing-Round Comeback
- Heroes To Get In Free At Hawaiian Falls
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures