Former Investigator Found Guilty In Killing
Get Breaking News First
DENTON (AP) - A former federal investigator has been found guilty in North Texas of killing his girlfriend’s estranged husband in 2010.
Gary Landers of Paint Rock was sentenced to 13 years in prison following his conviction Wednesday in the shooting death of 49-year-old Richard Benovic of Justin.
Landers, who is 58, was accompanying his girlfriend in May 2010 when she dropped off her two children with Benovic, with whom she shared custody. An argument ensued and Landers testified during the week-long trial that he fired in self-defense at Benovic when he felt threatened.
The Denton Record-Chronicle reports prosecutors argued that Benovic in the weeks leading up to the shooting had told authorities he feared for his life.
Landers has worked as an investigator for several agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Memorial Service Held For Murdered Richardson ISD Teacher, Mother Of Two
- Untapped Festival Features 65 Breweries, Over 200 Drinks
- Your 20-Step Cowboys Free-Agency Guidebook
- South Dallas High School Students Snag Free Prom Dresses
- North Texas Man Among Passengers On Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures