Help TxDOT Locate The Worst DFW Potholes
Get Breaking News First
FORT WORTH (CBSDFW.COM) - Now that much of the ice has melted — or been chipped away — from area roads, North Texans are getting a first good look at the condition of those roadways after the winter storm. And unfortunately, most drivers are finding the inevitable aftermath of a week’s worth of freezing and thawing — potholes.
When the ice melts during the daytime, that water slips down into the cracks and crevices of a well-traveled roadbed. But at night, the temperatures drop back below freezing. Water expands when it freezes, so all of that ice then starts to push the road apart. It is a slow decay by thousands of tiny fractures.
Over the next several days, many potholes will appear as tires start breaking apart the newly weakened surface.
The Texas Department of Transportation is scouting the roads on pothole patrol, searching for problem areas now that the ice is gone. But they cannot do it all alone. Drivers are encouraged to help them find the worst potholes by calling 1-800-452-9292 and suggesting a pothole in need of immediate repair.
- Nothing Will Stop Fans From Watching NFL
- Grades: Cowboys Come From Behind For Huge Win Over Rams
- Cowboys Scandrick ‘Pissed’ By Lack Of Playing Time In Return
- Court Challenge To Voter ID Law Nears End
- “The Maze Runner” Tops Box Office
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures