LEWISVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – It has been nearly a full week since the winter storm blew through North Texas, and icy spots on area roadways are still causing grief for some drivers. Police had to temporarily shut down a portion of Interstate-35E in Lewisville on Thursday morning due to an ice-related car crash.
The incident happened along the highway’s southbound feeder road, close to Highway 121. There is an area along the road which dips down lower, and it had collected water from melting ice on Wednesday. Temperatures back below freezing on Thursday morning had then turned this water back into an icy patch.
Because of the ice and the crash, police blocked off the feeder road in two locations and closed an exit ramp where water and ice were draining. The Texas Department of Transportation was called to the scene with a sanding truck to help break up that ice and make the area safe for traffic once again.
The sanding truck ran into a brief moment of difficulty as it was traveling up the exit ramp. Another driver had gone around the police barricade and got in the way of TxDOT’s sanding. Drivers are urged to exercise extreme caution on roads, even though much of the ice appears to be gone. Melting ice during the daytime and freezing temperatures overnight are continuing to create similar issues around the entire Metroplex.
CBS 11 News meteorologist Scott Padgett speculated that the remaining ice around the DFW area might not be entirely gone until next week.
After the sanding truck was finished, police opened up the road to traffic once again. But drivers who need to travel through Lewisville should be aware that this icy patch exists and could still present problems on Thursday morning. Police have not released information about the condition of the driver who crashed.
- Some Cruz Supporters Surprised He Dropped Out
- Fort Worth Police Honor 59 Officers Killed In Line Of Duty
- Lake County Escaped Inmate Tracked To Texas Via Cellphone
- Fort Worth Officer Rescues Dog On Interstate
- Frisco To Vote On Confusing, Controversial Alcohol Proposition Saturday
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures