A Special Holiday Soldier Surprise At North Texas School
NORTH TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A North Texas soldier was on a secret mission Monday. His assignment as to surprise his children by returning home for Christmas — and it was mission accomplished.
When you’re a military family, there’s only one thing better than a visit from Santa Claus at Christmas and that is having your mom or dad home with you.
On Monday two students at a Grand Prairie elementary school got that very gift, when their dad surprised them from Kuwait.
Domingo Rodriguez has served our country for more than 20 years. But on this day, at Dickinson Elementary School, the army sergeant’s assignment was personal.
As the time grew closer Sergeant Rodriquez said he was feeling, “Excitement. I’m choked up. I miss my daughter.”
Students lined the hallways to cheer their special visitor. And somewhere in the crowd, his two kids cheered too.
The 5th and 2nd graders were told the event was part of a book parade, but many of their classmates knew better.
Rodriguez’ son, Domingo, saw dad first.
Next, amidst more cards and smiles, Sergeant Rodriquez set out to find his daughter. “I’m really excited to see her.”
After lots of hugs and a few tears, Sergeant Rodriquez reflected o his military career. “I’ve been doing this for 20 years. This is my last tour. I’ve been away from the family for years.”
The Rodriquez family will be together this Christmas — something that was at the top of the whole family’s wish list this holiday.
The sergeant’s wife, Shannon, said, “We have a new grandbaby we just met. I’m excited we’ll all be together.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Oklahoma Tornadoes – Live Coverage
- Apartment Fire Victims Thank Police Officers Who Saved Them
- Analysts Fear DFW Housing Market Too Hot
- Tornadoes Touch Down In Oklahoma, Nebraska On Active Day
- NASCAR Upholds Penalties Against Richard Childress Racing
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures