Garrett Admits Cowboys Abandoned Running Game In Second Half
IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) – Twitter exploded on Sunday afternoon with calls for more DeMarco Murray and the Cowboys rushing attack. Head coach Jason Garrett didn’t hear it then, but he’s admitting it now.
“We should have run the ball more in the second half. There’s no question about that,” said Garrett on 105.3 The Fan’s New School on Monday.
Running back DeMarco Murray averaged 7.4 yards on 18 carries, 11 of which came in the first half, when Dallas seized a 26-3 lead.
But despite the success running the ball, Romo attempted 48 passes for the game. The most notable attempt came on 2nd-and-6 with the 2:46 remaining and the Cowboys leading 36-31.
Garrett says the play was a designed run with an option to check to a pass if the defensive look forced it.
“In hindsight, Tony would tell you we probably should have run the ball and just lived with whatever the results of that run was — to keep the clock running and hopefully get us to a manageable third down.”
Romo was responsible for the decision to run the ball on that specific play, but who is responsible for the Cowboys lack of a running game throughout the second half?
“Well Bill [Callahan] calls the plays. There’s no question about that,” said Garrett. “I certainly have a strong role in it.”
According to Garrett, the Packers defense didn’t really make any halftime adjustments, instead sticking to their typical 8-man front look.
“That’s just how they play. That’s how they played going into the game,” said Garrett. “Certainly in the second half, they maintained that posture. It’s important for us to still find ways to run it when they’re playing run defense.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Cedar Hill PD Does Spot On Mathew McConaughey Parody
- Families With Special Military Bond Don’t Let Icy Roads Cancel Event
- Fort Worth ISD’s Only Superintendent Pick Withdraws Nomination
- Cowboys To Use Franchise Tag On Dez Bryant
- Body Discovered At Lake Ray Hubbard During Missing Person Search
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures