Obamacare Congressional Hearing Held In Richardson
RICHARDSON (CBSDFW.COM) – Members of the U.S. Congress came to North Texas Monday to discuss concerns about the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.
The House Committee on Government Oversight and Reform hosted the hearing in Richardson to specifically focused on healthcare navigators, who are paid to help people sign up for federal health care.
After navigators from the Dallas Urban League were caught on camera guiding fake applicants to lie on applications, Texas Congressman Pete Sessions asked that the oversight committee bring the hearings here.
“I asked you to hold a field hearing of the Government Reform and Oversight Committee to help us better understand who are these navigators, and what is their role,” said Rep. Sessions.
About 100 people attended the Republican-led congressional hearing. The attendees were split — those who were for Obamacare and against the hearing or those were against Obamacare and supported the hearing.
Members of a Dallas-based citizen advocacy group held a protest prior to the hearing, saying the committee would not allow them to testify about the navigator system.
“While it is true, that those navigators were not doing their work. Many more are… and many more navigators are helping Texas families,” said Luis Veloz from the Texas Organizing Project.
Members from the Dallas Urban League were invited to testify at the hearing, but no one from the organization showed up. CBS 11’s calls to the Dallas Urban League were not returned on Monday.
- Wrong-Way Drivers Caught On Video Leaving AT&T Stadium
- Salmonella Tied To Cucumbers Sickens 9 In Texas
- Damaging Spring Floods Still Affecting Lakeside Businesses
- Public Shows Support For Police During ‘Back The Blue’
- Neighbor Heard Gunshots, Found Dentist Dead In Uptown Garage
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures