KELLER (CBSDFW.COM) – Aspiring rapper and songwriter Michael Lane never thought that he would write a song so personal to him.
In Lane’s music video, he speaks out against a drunk driving crash that killed four people in Burleson. His friend, Sergio Molina, was among the victims. Molina is now paralyzed after he was thrown from the back of 16-year-old Ethan Couch’s pickup truck. Couch was given 10 years probation in what later turned out to be a controversial verdict that sparked outrage among the victim’s families and others.
“It sparked a lot of frustration and some animosity,” said Lane, “and the only way I really knew how to express that was through this song and this video.”
Lane and Molina met in middle school and bonded over Lane’s music. Molina was once a popular soccer star, But after the crash, he can now only communicate by blinking. “I asked him if he wanted to see it and he blinked at me, and let me know he wanted to see,” said Lane.
Lane showed Molina the video that he had made for him in the hospital. “He watched the whole video and, at the very end, there’s a paragraph that I wrote for him, dedicating the video to him,” Lane said. “As I was reading to him, I got about halfway through and he started bawling.”
Lane said that the tragedy has changed his perspective on life, and made him realize that circumstances can change in just a matter of moments.
Now, Lane is dedicated to spreading the message that people should never drink and drive, and making sure that his friend is never forgotten. “I figured I wanted to dedicate that video and put him in it, just so people know that he’s still there and he’s still fighting to get better,” said Lane.
- Jones Hits 3 With 1.8 Left, Texas Beats Oklahoma 84-83
- Fort Worth Targeting Aggressive Panhandlers
- Men Survive Avalanche; Take Selfies Waiting For Help
- Man Arrested In Fort Worth For Sexual Assault Of A Child
- Senate Confirms Trump’s Pick To Run The CIA
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures