IRVING (105.3 THE FAN) — The Cowboys caught a huge break on Sunday in Arlington when MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers was unavailable. But according to Jerry Jones, it didn’t matter who was behind center for Green Bay — they were unstoppable.
“We weren’t going to count on getting any stops as we went into the ballgame. That’s not being negative, that’s just a strategy,” said Jones on 105.3 The Fan’s New School. “As the game unfolded and we got a lead and we were stopping them, then we adjusted. What happened when we came back out frankly, we probably had to be shown that they were going to be able to score almost at will — which they were in the second half.”
In the second half, the Matt Flynn led Packers scored touchdowns on five consecutive possessions, despite managing just a field goal in the first half.
That prompted the Cowboys to abandon the run, according to Jones, instead allowing Tony Romo to air it out 48 times on the day. By comparison, DeMarco Murray carried the ball just 8 times in the second half, despite averaging over 8 yards per carry in the first half.
“With us not being able to stop them, we didn’t want to give them the ball back,” said Jones. “Frankly, when they would score, I wanted to answer them. I was for the aggressiveness that we showed in the half.”
Head coach Jason Garrett took a different position on Monday, admitting that the team was too quick to abandon the run.
“We should have run the ball more in the second half. There’s no question about that,” said Garrett.
But Jones thinks the risk is necessary — at least as the roster is currently constructed. Linebacker Bruce Carter was inactive on Sunday, as was Sean Lee. And Jones expressed “concern” that his defensive quarterback Lee might miss the remainder of the season.
“Make no mistake, with where we our with our personnel, we’re going to have to take risks.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Officer Known For Helping Others Needs Support
- Wounded Marine To Climb Mount Kilimanjaro
- Middle-Schoolers Ceremoniously Vote To Remove Confederate General’s Name From School
- Horse Center Founder Explains Why He Shut Down Special Needs Program
- Exclusive Interview: Tony Romo Talks Surgery, Downplays Injury
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures