Hunter Expects ‘Great Things’ From Former Teammate Prince Fielder
ARLINGTON (105.3 THE FAN) – Prince Fielder has never been named MVP, but that doesn’t mean he’s not among the game’s best hitters.
Tigers outfielder Torii Hunter made a point to defend his former teammate on Wednesday with the G-Bag Nation on 105.3 The Fan.
“You’re going to get a guy that’s produced MVP’s the last three years. You talk about Ryan Braun, when he hit behind him and protected him — he became an MVP. Miguel Cabrera two years ago became the MVP and Triple Crown winner…Prince for some reason, when he’s protecting guys, he really brings the best out of you.”
Texas acquired Fielder in a November trade for second baseman Ian Kinsler. Hunter says that he and Fielder love hitting in Arlington — in fact, Fielder said he considered Arlington during free agency two years ago.
“He’s actually talked about it, ‘If I didn’t come here, the one place I’d go was the Texas Rangers,'” said Hunter.
And while Braun and Cabrera have captured the accolades and awards, Hunter’s waiting for someone to give Fielder the chance to be the man.
“Whose going to protect him one day and make him one of the best hitters in the game? I think he gets looked over a lot.”
The answer: Adrian Beltre. Manager Ron Washington has penciled in Beltre behind Fielder in the lineup. Wash says Fielder will be the everyday first baseman and bat third.
With an All-Star bat behind him in a hitter friendly park, Hunter expects big things.
“I think he’s going to do great things in that ballpark.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- DPD Bicycle Officer Collapses While On The Job
- Diaw Scores 19 To Lead Spurs In 94-76 Win Over Mavericks
- Shoot Or Don’t Shoot? Simulator Puts Citizens In Police Officer’s Shoes
- Texas Looks To Shine Light On Private Campus Police Records
- With Water Restrictions Easing Soon, Will Residents Return To Old Ways?
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures