Vegas Favors Charlie Strong As Next Longhorns Coach
AUSTIN (CBSDFW.COM) — Everyone has an opinion as to who should replace Mack Brown at the University of Texas. Now, Vegas is weighing in as well.
Sportsbook.com names current Louisville coach Charlie Strong as the favorite to replace Brown in Austin.
In three seasons at Louisville, Strong has led the Cardinals to a 36-15 record, including two Big East titles (2011, 2012). Prior to joining Louisville, Strong served as a defensive coordinator at the University of Florida, helping the Gators to a pair of national titles (2007, 2009).
Second on the list is current Baylor head coach Art Briles, who guided the Bears to their first Big 12 title in school history.
The list of possibilities includes a host of current college and NFL coaches.
Charlie Strong (Louisville) 6/5
Art Briles (Baylor) 7/2
James Franklin (Vanderbilt) 5/1
Gus Malzahn (Auburn) 7/1
Bill O’Brien (Penn St.) 8/1
Chip Kelly (Phil. Eagles) 8/1
Jim Mora Jr. (UCLA) 10/1
Dabo Swinney (Clemson) 10/1
David Shaw (Stanford) 15/1
Jimbo Fisher (Florida St.) 20/1
Jon Gruden 25/1
Mike Gundy (Oklahoma St.) 25/1
Jim Harbaugh (SF 49ers) 25/1
Will Muschamp (Florida) 25/1
Les Miles (LSU) 30/1
Mike Tomlin (Pitts. Steelers) 50/1
Three notable NFL coaches with college ties made the list, including first year Eagles coach Chip Kelly, who coached at Oregon for four seasons prior to making the jump.
Orangebloods.com’s Chip Brown, who broke the news of Brown’s resignation, told 105.3 The Fan that the University is aiming high with the hire.
“They’re absolutely aiming high,” said Brown. “I was told they’re going to go after a coach who has won a national championship or a Super Bowl. I think they feel like the Texas job is the best job in the country and they’ll be able to land someone with that on their resume.”
(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Driver Rescued From Burning Car By Police Had Just Seconds To Live
- Fort Worth Police Searching For Car Jacking Suspect
- Plano’s Vision Of The Future Now The Subject Of Controversy
- Judge Halts Worker’s Comp Claim For Dallas Ebola Nurse Nina Pham
- Blue Bell Voluntarily Recalls All Of Its Products Due To Possible Health Risk
- Cowboys Fan Attacked, Beaten After Thanksgiving Day Game
- Texas Gov. Perry Signs “Merry Christmas” Bill
- Icy Weather Cancels Flights At DFW Airport
- Before Drug Sentencing Former Cowboy Sends Letter To CBS 11
- 4th Abduction Attempt In Tarrant County
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures