NORTH RICHLAND HILLS (CBS 11 NEWS) – Atmos Energy says its crews have discovered a gas leak on Harwood Road in North Richland Hills, where a home exploded Saturday.

In a statement, the company said it restored natural gas service to the neighborhood after performing a safety test on the distribution pipeline. Crews cut out a section of the line where the leak was located, and replaced the pipe.

However, spokesperson for Atmos Energy says the company has not determined if the leak found on the pipe has any relation to the explosion.  The spokesperson says investigations like this will take time.

Atmos Energy did not receive any service requests or leak calls from residents on Harwood Road prior to Saturday’s incident.

“We want to remind everyone, if you smell natural gas or rotten eggs, to please leave the area immediately and call 911 or the Atmos Energy emergency line at 1.866.322.8667,” said Jennifer Ryan, with Atmos Energy.

(credit: KTVT)

(credit: KTVT)

Meanwhile, homeowner Marvin Reinoshek and his family are still trying to figure out how to move forward, after their home was ruined in the blast.

The force of the explosion knocked down interior walls, blew out every window, and shifted the ceiling off alignment.

Wile Marvin, his wife, their three children, and a child’s friend were not harmed, his eight-year-old niece suffered serious burns.

Maya Javier was flown to Parkland Hospital, where she is now recovering from second degree burns to 40 percent of her body.

“I’m not worried about the house. I just want Maya to get better. That’s all I want,” Reinoshek said.

Reinoshek says his family has received offers of help and donations from several people in the community.  Most of the donations, he says he is sending to his sister for Maya’s care.

The North Richland Hills fire fighters who transported the girl by ambulance gave $100.  The children’s school has also set up a fund, for which the family is grateful.

The family has relatives to stay with for the time being, and is working with the insurance company to assess the damage.

“Honestly I don’t know who’s to blame yet. It’s not my fault. I didn’t ask for this,” said Reinoshek.

The uncle was told, Maya may be in the hospital for over a month as she recovers.

Top Trending: