GRAND PRAIRIE (CBSDFW.COM) – Friends of 16-year-old Peyton Barbour are shocked and saddened by his death. Barbour died as he went into surgery at Parkland Hospital Christmas afternoon.

He was shot once by Grand Prairie police, after police said Barbour shot two officers, in the hand and foot.

“It took me a minute to process it and when it hit me, it was just devastating. It was awful,” said Emma Villaire, who lives down the street from Barbour’s family in Mansfield and has known the young man for five years.

“I talked to him two days ago and he seemed fine,” said Villaire.

She and the friends of the popular sophomore at Mansfield Lake Ridge High School said they are wondering what was going on in Barbour’s life that led to his actions on Christmas day.

“He was not a bad kid. He made stupid decisions, he did stupid things, but he was not a bad kid at all,” said another friend, Trevor Stutsman.

Grand Prairie police said around 4:30 a.m. on Christmas, an officer tried to stop Barbour, who was driving a stolen car. Police said the teen took off, and an officer chased him to a field. At that point, police said Barbour fired shots at the officer.

That led to an all-out manhunt for the next ten hours, until a resident in Grand Prairie spotted a suspicious acting teen walking down E. Seeton Road.

When police caught up with Barbour at that location, Grand Prairie police said the teen opened fire on two officers, striking both of them.

Officers from several agencies then cornered Barbour in a field. Police say they told the teen to surrender, but he did not.

Sensing Barbour was headed back into a residential community, police said a Grand Prairie officer then fired a shot, and Barbour fell to the ground.

“There were a good 50 police officers out there. They were taking precautions. You could tell this guy had a gun,” said Steve Cremer, who shot video of the incident from inside his home.

Peyton Barbour (credit: Barbour family)

Peyton Barbour (credit: Barbour family)

Friends said Barbour was acting troubled, lately. On his Twitter page, Barbour made references to recent time spent in jail and the subsequent probation after his release.

Thursday evening, Grand Prrairie detectives said, not only was the car Barbour was driving stolen, but police say the 9mm Glock handgun he used in the firefight was also stolen from a home burglary.

“The fact that he did this hurts my heart. At the same time, whatever he was going through, I wish I was able to talk to him. I wish I’d been able to change his mind,” said Stutsman. He was one of several friends who dropped off flowers and cards at the Barbour’s home, Thursday.

Mansfield ISD is planning for grief counselors to be available when students return to school in the new year.

The three officers who discharged their weapons are on paid administrative leave, which is standard in this type of investigation.

The two officers who were shot are recovering with their families at home.

(©2013 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Top Trending: