Arkansas State Clobbers UTA 82-66
ARLINGTON (AP) – Reserve Ed Townsel scored 20 points and the Arkansas State defense controlled one of the highest-scoring duos in the country as the Red Wolves cruised to an 82-66 win over Texas-Arlington in a Sun Belt Conference opener on Thursday.
Five players scored in double figures for the Red Wolves (8-4). Kirk Van Slyke, Cameron Golden had 15 each and Brandon Reed, Kendrick Washington added 12 apiece. Van Slyke and Washington both had 10 rebounds and Golden had seven assists.
Roger Dowell, the 10th leading scorer in the nation at 22.3, scored 28, for the Mavericks (5-8) but 18 came in the final five minutes after the Red Wolves were up 27. Brandon Edwards, who averages 19 points, was held to two.
The game was tied at 32 at halftime before the Red Wolves took off with a back-breaking 24-2 run. Arkansas State shot 74 percent in the second half.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- UPS Calls In 2,600 Extra Workers After Holiday Delivery Delays
- Tony Romo’s Injury Might Cost Dallas Cowboys Coaching Staff Their Jobs
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- Deceased Teen Suspect Identified
- Victim Identified In Fatal Fort Worth Office Stabbing
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures