Pregnant, Brain-Dead Texas Woman Kept Alive
DALLAS (AP) – A North Texas hospital is refusing a husband’s wish to pull life support for his pregnant wife whom he says has been declared brain dead.
Erick Munoz said he found his wife, Marlise, unconscious in November. At the time, she was 14 weeks pregnant.
Both Erick and Marlise are paramedics. He says they’ve have discussed that they would not want to be kept on life support.
But John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth says it’s bound by state law not to pull life support from a pregnant patient. However, three experts on the law say a brain-dead patient is not covered by it.
While not ruling out legal action, Munoz said Friday that he’s more concerned about letting others know about his family’s ordeal.
(© Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- UPS Calls In 2,600 Extra Workers After Holiday Delivery Delays
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- Deceased Teen Suspect Identified
- Victim Identified In Fatal Fort Worth Office Stabbing
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures