Cardinals Claim Ortega From Rangers
Rangers CentralShop for Rangers Gear
Buy Rangers Tickets
ST. LOUIS (AP) - The St. Louis Cardinals added an outfield prospect to the 40-man roster, claiming 22-year-old Rafael Ortega on waivers from the Texas Rangers.
The left-handed hitting Ortega, of Venezuela, was designed for assignment by Texas on Dec. 30. The Rangers had claimed him from the Rockies a month earlier.
Colorado signed Ortega as a non-drafted free agent in 2008 and he made his major league debut in September 2012, appearing in two games. Ortega batted .228 for Double-A Tulsa last year with one home run, 10 RBIs and nine steals in 13 attempts before a season-ending leg injury in late June.
The Cardinals have one spot remaining on the roster.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- UPS Calls In 2,600 Extra Workers After Holiday Delivery Delays
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- Deceased Teen Suspect Identified
- Victim Identified In Fatal Fort Worth Office Stabbing
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures