PLANO, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – Plano police are warning residents of a new scam thieves are trying to pull over the telephone all over the Metroplex.
David Tilley with Plano Police Department says someone calls pretending to be from a government agency; the police or Sheriff’s department, the FBI, the IRS or even the CIA claiming that you have a warrant out for your arrest.
They then tell the victim that they owe money related to “investigation against them” and need to send thousands of dollars through a money gram or money pack – even a gift card – to clear it up.
Tilley says if you are concerned that you may have a possible fine to call the agency identified and ask.
The scam has been popping up all over the country.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- UPS Calls In 2,600 Extra Workers After Holiday Delivery Delays
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- Deceased Teen Suspect Identified
- Victim Identified In Fatal Fort Worth Office Stabbing
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures