AUSTIN (AP) – Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst is set to announce the education agenda that he wants Texas senators to pursue in 2014.
Dewhurst is scheduled to address a benefit for the United Negro College Fund in Grapevine on Thursday where he is expected to make the announcement.
As lieutenant governor, Dewhurst presides over the Texas Senate and while lawmakers are not in session he charges committees to investigate issues for future legislation. The committees hold hearings and develop bills that will be considered during the 2015 legislative session.
The chairman of the Senate Education Committee is Houston Republican Dan Patrick, who is running against Dewhurst in the Republican primary. Patrick is a strong advocate of charter schools and a fierce Dewhurst critic.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- UPS Calls In 2,600 Extra Workers After Holiday Delivery Delays
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- Deceased Teen Suspect Identified
- Victim Identified In Fatal Fort Worth Office Stabbing
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures