DALLAS, Texas (AP) – A person familiar with the deal says pitcher Clayton Kershaw has agreed to a $215 million, seven-year contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers, a deal that makes the two-time Cy Young Award winner baseball’s first player with a $30 million average salary.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity Wednesday because the agreement had not yet been announced.
Kershaw receives the most lucrative deal for a pitcher, breaking the mark of $180 million set by Justin Verlander last March for his seven-year contract with Detroit.
The average salary of $30.7 million tops the previous high of $27.5 million, set by the New York Yankees’ Alex Rodriguez as part of a 10-year agreement December 2007. While Roger Clemens had a contract with a listed salary of $28 million with the Yankees in 2007, he joined the team in June and actually made $17.4 million.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- WATCH: Fisherman Captures Destruction Of His Boat By Distracted Boater
- This Week in College Basketball: Duke’s Bagley Plays Role Of Doctor, Pops Own Shoulder Back In
- iPhone Update Will Allow Users To Stop Battery Slowdown, Tim Cook Says
- Search Underway For Man Who Groped 2 Women In Parking Lots
- Fort Worth Officer Loses Everything In House Fire
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures