Former Air Force One Jet At Center Of Battle Between Ohio And Texas
Get Breaking News First
DALLAS, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) – The jet that became Air Force One after Lyndon B. Johnson took the oath of office following the assassination of President Kennedy in Dallas is at the center of brewing battle between states of Ohio and Texas.
The LBJ Foundation has raised millions of dollars to build a pavilion by the LBJ Presidential Library in Austin to eventually host the iconic Boeing VC-137C aircraft (civilian designation 707-320B), but there’s a hitch…the plane has been displayed at the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base near Dayton, Ohio since 1998, and in a promotional film call the popularly known “SAM 26000″ their ‘most important artifact’.
Members of the Buckeye states’ congressional delegation want to make sure that happens. Congressman Michael Turner (R-OH) of Dayton andU.S. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH) have written to the U.S. Air Force Secretary opposing the move.
As well as serving LBJ, the aircraft provided 36 years of service and accumulated more than 13,000 flying hours.
According to the Air Force Museum website another other notable trip happened in October 1981 when the aircraft flew Presidents Nixon, Ford and Carter, and former Secretary of State Dr. Kissinger to the funeral of slain Egyptian president Anwar Sadat.
The USAF retired “SAM 26000″ at the Dayton, Ohio based museum in May 1998.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Stars Home, Ready For Return Of Playoffs To Dallas
- Rangers Place OF Adduci On DL, Recall INF Sardinas
- Strong Era Begins At Texas With Shaky QB Play
- Texas Tech F Jordan Tolbert Transferring To SMU
- Vigil Planned For Dallas Man Murdered Near Beaumont
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures