Aggies Rally To Best South Carolina 75-67
COLLEGE STATION (AP) – Texas A&M overcame a double-digit first half deficit to defeat South Carolina 75-67 on Wednesday night.
Jamal Jones scored 22 points for the Aggies, who trailed 14-3 six minutes into the contest before getting their act together before their largest home crowd of the season.
Guard Brenton Williams scored 14 points for the Gamecocks (7-9, 0-3), who shot 42.9 percent (9 of 21) from the field in the second half – after making 14 of 28 in the first half – en route to their third consecutive setback to start Southeastern Conference play.
The Aggies (12-4, 3-0) under third-year coach Billy Kennedy are 3-0 in league play for the first time since 2010-11 under then-coach Mark Turgeon, now at Maryland, and as members of the Big 12 at the time.
The Aggies snagged their first lead of the second half at 58-57 on two free throws by Jones with 6:59 remaining. Following a missed 3-pointerá by Jaylen Shaw on South Carolina’s ensuing possession, A&M guard Shawn Smith responded with a 3-pointer from deep in the right corner in lifting the Aggies to a 61-57 lead.
A&M guard Jordan Green scored four points in the final 1:34 to help put away the Gamecocks. The Aggies shot 43.8 percent (7 of 16) from the 3-point line, while the Gamecocks hobbled themselves with 17 turnovers (compared to 11 for A&M).
The Aggies overcame an 11-point first half deficit, as South Carolina manhandled A&M in rebounds over the first 20 minutes to the tune of 20-10. The Aggies responded by out-rebounding South Carolina 15-13 the rest of the way, although the Gamecocks still led in the final tally (33-25).A&M improved to 2-0 all-time against the Gamecocks, as the programs didn’t meet until the Aggies joined the SEC in 2012.
(© Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Oklahoma Day Care Closes After Reports Of Sunburned Children
- Michael Sam To Make CFL Debut For Montreal Alouettes
- Kroger Recalls Four Spices With Salmonella Concerns
- Jail Releases More Sandra Bland Footage Before Her Death
- Suspected Serial Rapist, Who Posed As Masseuse, Flees To Brazil
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures