DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Charles “The Future” Hatley has already compiled an impressive resume at 27. The Dallas native is the WBC Super Welterweight Champion, Golden Gloves World Champion and a 2008 Olympic Alternate.
Hatley said he and the THT team, short for the The Hatley Team, have traveled all over the world but their goal now is to put Dallas on the map.
The boxer’s training is relentless. His father, Greg Hatley, said the two spend up to 40 hrs a week in the gym preparing for a fight.
There isn’t a set schedule for the tenacious athlete. “It’s train all day, all night. No ‘Hey, its time to leave,’ we’re here at one o’clock training,” said Hatley.
His father said he always dreamed his son get in the ring one day.“Before Charles was even born, I had a dream for him to be an Olympian and World Champion,” said Greg Hatley.
Charles Hatley said the drive to go professional began after the 2008 Olympic trials.
“Man the money started coming in from being ranked #1 and #2 and then the checks came in every month,” he said.
So far, the dynamic boxer has only logged one loss in his professional career. This weekend he takes on WBO Champion Junior Middleweight Mark “Poison” Suarez. His claim to fame took place in a sparring session when he knocked out Floyd Mayweather before a title fight.
“I’ve got a great opponent. He dropped Mayweather — one of the best boxers in the world and now he’s coming to see me,” said Hatley.
His father said his son has a lethal punch. He said Hatley is capable of solid defense and movement in the ring; hitting from both angles as a switch fighter.
The two have promised boxing fans a good fight this weekend. The official weigh-in time is Friday, January 17 from 2 p.m.-5 p.m. at Bombshells Restaurant and Bar, located at 7501 N. Stemmons Fwy in Dallas.
Hatley and Suarez will square off at Gilley’s Ballroom, 1113 South Lamar St. in Dallas on January 18. Doors open at 4:30 pm.
(©2014 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Government Shuts Down After Senate Fails To Reach A Deal
- Dallas Animal Services Cracking Down On Irresponsible Dog Owners
- Dallas Officials Seek Changes To Bike-Sharing Operations In City
- Family: Tom Petty Died Of Accidental Drug Overdose
- Jury To Work Saturday To Reach Verdict In Antonio Cochran Trial
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures