DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Firefighters battled a three-alarm blaze at an apartment complex in northeast Dallas early Thursday morning. The incident started at around 4:30 a.m. at the Northpark Terrace Apartments, located in the 6700 block of Eastridge Drive, near Park Lane.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy flames coming from the first floor of a two-story building the at the complex. The fire quickly moved to the second floor and then into the attic. An official said that eight apartment units received damage from fire, smoke and water, and two of those units have been destroyed.
Marsha Fleming resides in one of the upstairs apartment units that was burned. She was asleep when the blaze began, but woke up to the smell of smoke. “I opened my front door. I knew something was on fire,” she said. “By the time I opened my front door, the smoke just came running into my apartment, real thick. I couldn’t even see my way out.”
Fleming was inside of the apartment with her son, daughter and mother, who is visiting from out of town. The family escaped without issue, but are not sure if their two dogs were able to get out safely. There were no injuries reported in this incident. The American Red Cross is assisting 28 people who have been displaced.
The flames have since been extinguished, but crews are still monitoring the situation for possible hot spots. Fire investigators are now on the scene to determine the cause of the blaze. Arson is being considered as a possibility in this case.
- New Foster Care Center Looks To Limit Lifetime Impact Of Abuse
- South Carolina Prosecutors Plan To Retry Officer Accused Of Killing Unarmed Black Man
- Vandals Smear Bacon On Muslim Owner’s Restaurant
- SWAT Standoff Over In Denton; Suspect In Custody
- Lawyer’s Death Brings Personal Sadness To Dallas County Judge
- Man Fights To Take Pregnant Wife Off Life Support
- Cowboys’ Romo Update: Complication In Back Surgery
- Flu Cases Spike In Texas, 13 Dead In Houston Area
- 70-Year-Old Brutally Attacked Outside Restaurant
- Owner Reunites With Dog 4 Months After ‘Dognapping’
- PHOTOS: Your Pet Pictures